Sunday, March 22, 2015

Should I take risk?



In my opinion teachers should consider students’ particular strengths while planning instruction. If teachers encourage students to do whatever they are good at, students can be more willing and enthusiastic about it. The only thing that students needs is being confident and determined about their works in the classroom.

I had a teacher who built on my strengths when I was in the high school. She was my English teacher. Even if she was very young and novice, her reaction and attitude were reassuring. When I made mistakes, she tried to make it correct or I did not understand, she taught me from different ways. My interest to lessons attracted her attention and every time she encouraged me to do better. Eventually, I decided to choose English class. I knew my strength was English; learning it, dealing with it and thinking more about it. She made me realize that. And I’m very thankful for her.

I suppose that without taking risks nobody can achieve their goals. I always try to experience new things for example before I write an essay, I do a lot of research, ask my instructor and make a whole from all of those. I do not read one source and only write from that. Looking different ideas and constitute a whole is a difficult thing. However, if I do not do those steps, I cannot learn and go further. I think this is a risk. My willingness to take academic risks takes me to the upper levels. Even if my result does not satisfy me, I can tell to myself that I try to do my best. Also, my risk can give me better results. That motivates me to work hard. I know that if I do not take risks, I cannot learn more things and broaden my mind.

I will encourage my students to take risks. Because I will teach them the sword is double edged. Even if taking risks have negative results, they will know that they can take advantages from it. They will realize ‘playing it safe’ makes them more confident and open-minded.


“...If there is no risk, there is no reward.” 

                                                - Christy Raedeke


5 comments:

  1. Irem, I totally agree with your idea. In my observation, taking risk makes you more comfortable and powerful in your school life. Thus, you are really organized person and this make you also more powerful and succesful. :)
    If your precious teacher did not encourage you to choose English class, we wouldn't meet in highschool and I could not be here right now. Fortunatelly, I am here thanks to you and your teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irem, you mentioned what teachers should do for their students particular strengths when they plan instructions.I am thinking the same thing about your ideas. Also, I can say this when you become a teacher, I think you will be coordinate your students to take risk. It is pretty good actually.In addition, Your English teacher encouraged you and provided you to think in different perspective to choose English class and you take risk whether it is correct or wrong , and you realize that thanks to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Duygu, I'm happy to be friend with you. Thank you for your great comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you, Irem. We should push what we up to. We should do what needs to be done. Taking risk is a process people always win at the end of it wheather they achieve or not their goals because next time, they will be much stronger, confident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Irem :) I agree with you, risk taking is important. Experiencing things that lead people to take risks are even more important based on your example with your teacher :)






    ReplyDelete