Monday, April 20, 2015

Constructivist Approach in Teaching 


          I think the constructivist approach can be the best learning and teaching style. Both teachers and students take some advantages from that approach. In this approach the basic strategy is to make students work and think more. For example, with debates or group works students learn to look others ideas or learn to listen people and think about different perspectives. Also, students work in a real environment not an abstract concept. Teacher gives a real world topic then students talk, exchange their ideas and make a conclusion then share with the class. Students learn things more easily and they can keep the topic in their mind longer. In addition, this approach has some advantages for teachers. They are active in the classroom environment. They guide the students as well. They can be model, coach or listener.

          Nevertheless, constructivist approach might have some drawbacks. For instance, every student may not feel safe in the classroom. Every student does not have same personality, they can be shy or they might not talk in a large group. So, this can be a problem for both teacher and students. Furthermore, this approach can be tiring for teachers. Because teachers are always active, they listen to students, they moderate them during discussions maybe they give feedback after debates.

          I would possibly feel comfortable using such an approach when I’m a teacher. I want my students to talk inside the classroom and say what they think in a secure environment. Moreover, I would like to see my students’ development. If I do something wrong, my students can warn me or we can find another way to go beyond. The only thing is important for me is to work in an enjoyable and informative place.


1 comment:

  1. Irem literally your post inspired my post my friend, I really really liked your post especially the part that you emphasized trading the ideas. I also will use constructivism when I will become a teacher but I don't agree with the part that using this approach can be tiring for the teachers. Good work İrem!! Thank you for your post

    ReplyDelete