Saturday, May 2, 2015

Growth Mindset

I do not think that I have had teachers who promoted a growth mindset. Maybe in Turkish education, it would be chance to work with teachers who show your way or encourage you for success. Most of my successes that I do are for me. So, I do not success for making someone else happy, maybe for my family. Anyway, they would be happy from my happiness as well as my success. Well, I’m not rewarded for success or getting high grades. I do not like stuff like that. So that, these things are my duty, I have to do them for myself. Why am I rewarded for them? My experiences raise me to the top of the ladder. Each experience helps your achievements in some way even if the bad experiences. Bad experiences make you realize that you should do more things to be better!


“Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.” 
                                                                      ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 comments:

  1. We have different background, İrem. In my primary years, I had been rewarded and it affected me in positive way. Yes, duty is for ourselves but little motivation can be a good thing. Other than that, I agree your last sentence: if you want to be better, you should use your bad experiences in order to improve yourself! Thank you for your great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear İrem,

    I am surprised that you don't get satisfied when you are rewarded. I mean I love that! Who doesn't like to get praised and rewarded :)? Also, I loved Emerson's quote :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with some points ,İrem.On the other hand, some bad experiences can effect some people effects in negative way instead of doing some stuffs better.It may change from person to person.Personality of person is playing big part on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your generous comments. I briefly tried to explain my point of view. Dear Dilan, I did not mean that I'm not satisfied when I'm rewarded. Everybody would be happy when being rewarded. But I see this understanding as a duty as a university student. Also, Anıl, I think that in a while you would learn something from your bad experiences. So, when you look to your past, you would say this can be bad or has negative effects but I'm here so, maybe it worked for me to get that level or to see its positive aspects. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, my teachers are not promoted a growth mindset.So I agree with your thought.The point which is bad experiences, I can say that as Anıl said. Bad experiences sometimes bring bad things instead of doing better things. Suppose to it change people to people but for you, bad experinces mostly improve yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi İrem, I agree with you point that knowing one's own responsibility and considering challenges as a step for your achievement, but unfortunately not each student thinks like you. When they have challenges they give up or they think that "I can't do this", "I am only capable of doing certain things so it is not my pair of shoes". Thus, students needs some kind of supporting to growing their mindsets and in mostly teacher have to take responsibility to expand and break down their certain limits. It is very helpful to praising them for their effort and show the importance of their process, also, praising them is internal reward to reinforce students positively.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Irem, my teachers are not used a growthy mindset as well, thats why we share the same experience, thats why i totally understood your point , your emphasize on the bad experiences is accurate because without evil we can not discriminate and appreciate good things, just as you said very good point!

    ReplyDelete